Monday, September 18, 2006

The Greater Good

Okay, maybe that caought your eye, maybe not. Still, you're here. And by here, I'm talking about The Right Wing (hey, Carl and Rennie are doing the shameless self-promoting, I can too).

The Greater Good, from this point forward, will refer to anything I think can make this country better. I'm not talking about some Islamo-fascist blow up the infidels kind of greater good martyrdom. I'm talking about the little things in life that can make this trip a bit better for all of us.

Take a moment and consider a few things. What could you change in your life that would make your journey a bit less stressful? (And don't go overboard with the spiritual sounds in this entry, I'm looking at basic tenets of everyday life.)

Holding the door for someone. I know, mundane, right? But why do we hold doors? We don't help ourselves by this, and the person behind us is likely just as strong or able-bodied and could surely open a door by themselves. But many times we will actually go out of our way to hold open a door for someone who could do it themselves. Think for a moment. Some people are actually insulted by someone holding a door for them. I tend to think of it as a common courtesy, a simple way of saying, "Here, you don't need my help, but I'm offering it anyway as a way of being a nice guy."

That's just one of a plethora of ideas for the greater good. I hope you have some of your own.

No comments: