Sunday, December 28, 2008

'08 reviewed, '09 previewed

The year is drawing to an end. 2008. This long, drawn out year that passed by way too fast.

It seems like just yesterday I was sitting in class at North Georgia College and State University, and now I realize that I graduated nearly eight months ago. I drive around a new car, I have a seemingly different circle of friends than I did just a few months back. All those old college buddies seem to have gone their own way, and I'm back to my original group, those few who've been with me for the last eight to ten years.

I'm still single, but that's merely status quo. Some things never change, and for the last few years that's been one of them. But for a change, I'm not bitter about it. I'm actually more than okay with being single. I can't even afford living by myself, how do I think I could afford being with someone else?

So, I sit here, writing a blog post, listening to Proterra by Runrig, and now I've actually moved from one room to the other and I'm typing on another computer linked up to a TV. (Robert, this is the same TV that I was playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on an emulator with an X-Box controller the other day.)

I find myself thinking more and more about the differences between the me of 2007 and the me of 2008. Almost everything about me has changed, and yet everything remains exactly as it was. I still watch football, so that hasn't changed. I still watch auto racing, only the kind of racing I watch has changed.

I still write, only my writing has become rather silly, as anyone who's read Historia will tell you. My friend Ben calls it "Picasso Literature" and I'm inclined to agree. Robert talked about some novels that he's written, and, in similar fashion I have the same thing, only most of mine are the short story variety. I've dabbled with novels before, but novels are daunting to me, not because I don't think I can pull it off, but more because i think if I ever started writing a novel I wouldn't be able to stop.

I've been posting Historia on the Right Wing and also on Facebook, where I posted the Darby O'Hanlon story. One day I'll get that one on the blog.

And I'm realizing that it's tough to get a handle on this particular post. I can't really decide what direction to go in. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

So, with that decided (the decision being that I'm not sure where this post is headed), I'll say this. January 1st will see the launch of the new Right Wing. We're keeping the sports commentary, but we're dropping politics altogether. Instead, the Right Wing will become a literary haven. Book reviews will become normal. More short fiction will appear. Heck, we may even have some guest writers (real ones this time, not the fake stuff we tried a while back).

So Enjoy the Right Wing in 2009.
Robert, we'll miss ya' buddy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Instead, the Right Wing will become a literary haven. Book reviews will become normal. More short fiction will appear. Heck, we may even have some guest writers (real ones this time, not the fake stuff we tried a while back)."

Now that sounds like a fantastic blog! I would definitely look forward to reading your creations.

Way to close out the year with class my friend. I'll miss posting along with you - but now you've got the stage to yourself, make it count.

May 2009 bring us the happiness we so earnestly seek.