Friday, April 18, 2008

Graduation: The Rift of Rock Awesomeness

Graduation looms. Two weeks from today, actually.
I've been in this game a long time. Now, the end draws near, and I'm not sure if I want to welcome it or run and hide from it.

So, I'm sitting here looking at the calendar (not literally) and wondering where all the time went. It seems like just yesterday that I was walking across the stage and being handed my High School Diploma. Now that's ancient history.

So Wednesday I had nothing to do in class. I didn't take any books, just my guitar. Now, I'd like to think that most college students are at least somewhat educated, so it came as a bit of a surprise when I heard this question mutliple times:
"Hey, is that yours?"
"Nope. Took it from a guy."

But really, I found a nice quiet place on campus, lightly wooded, bit of a hill, and I just sat on the grass and began playing. The only thing I can figure is that the exact location I chose was a Rift of Rock Awesomeness.

I came to this conclusion because everything I played got better and better. I could do no wrong. I could hit no wrong note. I've never played so well. I walked around all day playing, and it was a beautiful day for guitar. The sun was shining brightly, the birds were sing annoyingly. The breeze was blowing just right.

Rock Awesomeness was achieved.

So, Graduation. Two weeks. Fear and excitement. Dread and utter joy.
I'm going to miss the people I've been with for the last few years. I really will. These last few semesters have been the best I've ever had. I have the best friends a guy could possibly ask for. And now things are going to change. I'm staying here, and watching the world go around me.

Meanwhile, Colin and Lauren are going to Grad School, ostensibly. Heck, Michele is leaving the country (albeit for only six weeks, but still). Angela will be far away, most likely. There really is no possible way for me to express the love I have for these people. They've been there for me when no one else seemed to be... and I can only hope I was able to be there for them.

Now it seems like the calendar is turning it's pages faster than ever. If this were a ship, I'd be fighting some serious waves at the moment. I'm torn between wanting this ride to end and wanting another run at it. Robert over at Skewed says I'll be in grad school within five years. Who knows? At one time I could say with a fair amount of certainty that I wouldn't ever go, but now I can't.

But I realized a need a cause. I've not really stood for anything in my 26 years. I mean, I've got my politics, and my religion, and my own desires, but as far as a cause, I'm fairly causeless.
So that seems to me my next task. I'll find a "real" job, I'll get an apartment, a new car, all the typical stuff that, but I'll look deep within myself, and find that thing that I need to stand for.

I'll gain my purpose, in essence.

And since it fell unto my lot,
that I should rise and you should not,
I'll gently rise and softly call,
Good Night and Joy be to You All.

No comments: