Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Mixed-Bag

The Right Wing is not responsible for any harm that may come to its readers as a result of this entry.

NFL NEWS

It finally happened. David finally slew Goliath. It's like the Red Sox overcoming the Yankees all over again. Sunday night witnessed perhaps the greatest conference championship game in NFL history. The Colts, once down 21-3, stormed back in the second half and knocked off superstar Tom Brady and the Pats 38-34. Once again, the Patriots won't play for the Lombardi Trophy. I, for one, am glad. I nearly cried. I love the Colts, but my love of Indy pales in comparison to the level of hatred I have for the New England Patriots. Go Colts.

NHL NEWS

In other, less exciting news, the NHL unveiled their "sleeker" uniforms today. I wasn't thrilled when I first heard that the uniform design was changing. But I've seen the pictures, and I really don't mind the change. The differences seem subtle. Thank the good Lord they didn't bring back the old Vancouver "V" uniform. (sorry about the photo quality)

GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
Tonight is the night of a thousand words. That's right, George W. Bush will deliver his seventh State of the Union speech tonight. For those of you that drink, there's an interesting drinking game that will likely render you comatose after the first ten minutes.

1. Every time the entire assembly gives a standing applause, take a drink.
2. Every time the Republican side of the aisle gives a standing applause, take a drink.
3. Every time the Democratic side of the aisle gives a standing applause, take a drink.
4. Whenever a close-up shot shows someone in the audience crying, take a drink.
5. Whenever a member of either party is shown sitting down while others stand and applaud, take a drink.
6. This is the trickiest one. For however many minutes it takes the networks to air the Democrat Party response to the speech, take a drink. (i.e.: if it takes 12 minutes for them to air Nancy Pelosi telling you what Bush said wrong, take 12 drinks.)

I'm more than certain some of you will die from playing this drinking game. If you do, the Right Wing is not responsible for your death. I merely told you about the game, I didn't make you play it.

Contest Time
The Right Wing is announcing a one-time contest for its readers.

It's a simple bit of trivia. Since it is State of the Union time in the United states, it's also time for one member of the Cabinet, or anyone of any influence in Washington, to be spirited away to a bunker somewhere in Nebraska, just in the event that the Capitol building is reduced to burning cinders at some point during the speech.

To win the contest, merely send us a comment to this post telling us the name of the Bush Cabinet member, or Washington insider, not present at tonight's speech, and what position they hold.

The winner will receive special mention in an upcoming Right Wing post.

Sanjay Speaks
Hello readers. Sanjay here. I've been screening your calls for sometime now, ever since Blake loosened up a let me out of the broom closet. I've been hearing from many of you that our "Greater Good" segment is a missing part of the blog. Well, I'm here to rectify that error.

The Greater Good, as most of you recall, is not a religious call to arms, nor is it a political ploy. It is simply the act of kindness toward your fellow man. Blake and I agree that this lost segment is due a revival of sorts.

The first call to the Greater Good in 2007 is to inconsiderate drivers. You know who you are. You are the people who drive like you are the only person on the road. Just the other day, a gloomy, rainy day, I was driving in to the office here at RW. The speed limit is 45 mph, which isn't fast, but when the roads are slick, it's probably in your best interest to adhere a bit to it. Anyway, I'm on a four-lane road approaching the office when some idiot flies around me at about 65 miles per hour, with no lights on, in a dark gray truck, on a very rainy overcast day. Lack of visibility aside, it's not true to the Greater Good to drive like your hair is on fire or like you just dropped your cigarette lighter into your crotch when your experiencing a mild downpour.

That's only one of many. Blake tells me every other day about the local moron who somehow passed the driving exam. Maybe it's time to institute change. Perhaps you should go through a three-step learners program from age 15-17, then get your actual driver's license at age 18. That might help.

Anyway, the Greater Good will frequently be revisited, we hope.

For myself, Blake, and whoever else might be in the office today, good luck, and my God bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post man - I enjoyed it. I'm pulling for the Colts too - amazing, amazing comeback - hope they in it all.

And to answer your question and win the grand prize: I'll take Attorney General Alberto Gonzales for 500 Alex...