Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tax Day Tea Parties Revistied

Well, we're now a few days removed from the Tax Day Tea Parties, and the hits just keep a-coming.

CNN was falling over themselves to make teabagging references.

One CNN reporter, Susan Roesgen, went out of her way to confront people at the tea party in Chicago. First, she grew upset over someone comparing Obama to Hitler. Now I don't condone comparing American Presidents to the Nazi leader, but I recognize the First Amendment and free speech, even if I disagree. But you have to remember, this is the same Susan Roesgen who, at an Anit-Bush rally in New Orleans two years ago referred to a Bush-mask with a Hitler mustache and devil horns as a "lookalike." Now she's offended because someone is saying the same thing about the Anointed One. Secondly, she spoke to a man who was there with his two-year-old son, and she continually interrupted the man, even as he tried to make a point. He ranting about him being eligible for a $400 credit, and the state of Lincoln receiving $50 Billion in government stimulus were shrilly driving through the man's own point. (I just wish he would've been quick enough to ask her where she thought the government stimulus money was coming from. Eh, Susan? Any ideas?) She then turned back to the camera and said that it was clear that the rallies were anti-government, and they were anti-CNN, as they were promoted by the conservative (read: EVIL) Fox.

Then Anderson Cooper, who I once respected as a journalist, made snide remarks like "It's tough to talk when you're teabagging." Classy.

Keith Olbermann, whose MSNBC program could lose a rating battle with a show titled "Watching Paint Dry," was all too happy to point out that the Tax Day Tea Parties were the corporate brainchild of Fox News and that only stupid, ignorant, racist Americans attended. Janeane Garofalo, as a guest on his show, called the attendees a bunch of racists rednecks who aren't upset about taxes, but hate the fact that a black man is President. She claimed that none of the rally-goers had any idea what the Boston Tea Party was about. All the while Keith Olbermann blithely agrees with every word she says.

Now I'll admit that there were some rather offensive signs at the rallies, but nothing worse than what was gleefully reported about George W. Bush for the last six years or better. Yet when a majority Conservative movement happens it has to be downplayed, and ridiculed. Did Cavuto exaggerate? I don't doubt he did. Point out one journalist on CNN, MSNBC, or Headline News, who hasn't exaggerated. It's become part of mainstream media these days.

The most reassuring thing to me in all of this is that Fox News, whose coverage of the Tea Parties contained no sexual innuendos, and no snide remarks about the event-goers being racist rednecks, out-rated every other broadcast news source for the day. If you listen to one side, please listen to the other side.

And while we're on the subject of taxes, let me just say how thrilled I am that we don't have this stupid Fair tax idea. I mean, why would I want to be taxed 23% at the point of purchase. A sales tax of 6% is already too much. I'm happier with the government going on and taking 35% out of my check before it ever hits my hands. I don't have to do any work, they do it for me. Now I can go watch American Idol.

And yeah, that last paragraphed reeked of a little thing we call sarcasm.

No comments: