Friday, August 08, 2008

Brett Favre USED To Be My Hero...

This Brett Favre stuff has been a true roller coaster. I mean, honestly, I cared for a little while, then I realized that the only classy guy in the entire mess is Aaron Rodgers. Brett's been a jerk, the Packer's front office has been a collective jerk. And now Brett's gone to the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

First, let's break down the deal.

New York Jets get:
Brett Favre (and all the media circus that goes with him)

Green Bay Packers get:
A conditional fourth-round draft pick. If Favre Takes 50% of the snaps this season, the pick becomes a third-rounder. If he takes 70% of the snaps, and the Jets make the playoffs, the pick becomes a second rounder. If Favre takes 80% or more of the snaps and the Jets make the Super Bowl, the pick becomes a first-round selection.

Oh, and one other thing, if the Jets turn around and trade Brett Favre to the Minnesota Vikings, the Jets will have to surrender three first round picks to Green Bay.

So, here's my deal with this situation. I'm having a hard time siding with Brett Favre. The way I look at it, Favre retired after last season. That means he told the Packers he was hanging up the cleats and walking away from the game.

Then, less than a month before training camp opens, Favre decides that he still wants to play. And for some reason the Packers are supposed to let him walk right back in to where he was, as though the last few months never happened.

Lost in the shuffle is Aaron Rodgers, who has been quietly biding his time and learning from one of the best in the game. And every off-season Rodgers has to deal with the uncertainty of "Is Brett retiring this time?" or "What's the deal with Brett?" Rodgers was finally given his chance to step up with Favre's press conference announcing the end of his career.

And then Brett was back. I really think that Brett Favre wakes up every morning looking for ways to screw with Aaron Rodgers.



Brett, you used to be my hero. I would watch games just to see you. And yeah, I probably will tune in to more Jets games this year, but I've lost a lot of respect for you.

Aarong Rodgers, have a great season!

No comments: