Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Right Wing goes very political

I have stated before, and will now say again, that something needs to be done concerning our current system of government. I laid out a plan a few weeks back, and I've since revised that plan (listen to me, I sound like John Kerry... "I have a plan." I promise, I'll never start a sentence with the phrase "When I was in Vietnam."

The Plan:
1. Get rid of everyone in Washington. Now, I'm not advocating killing these people, but they all need to be removed from power. We thankfully have a system in this country where a person can be stripped of power without having to be shot, stabbed, hung, drawn, or quartered. It's called voting. The last presidential election witnessed the most votes ever cast in an election in this nation's history, we should make good on that fact. I came across this notion the other day, after watching a speech by President Bush, and it hit me, "We've got to get rid of all of them. That's the only way to make progress."

2. Now that the old guard has been taken out of power, we repeal that pesky 17th Amendment. This little ditty allows for the common voting populace to elect Senators. "But why should we get rid of that? We should elect Senators, right?" No. Plain and simple: NO. The nation is set up as a group of states. The government is set up as a representative body of those states. The House of Representatives is built to, and I know this will shock you, Represent the people. The Senate is a body designed to represent the state governments. By allowing the people to elect both the House members and the Senators, the State governments are left with no representation in Washington. By putting the power to elect Senators back in the hands of State Legislators, we return to the balance of power that our Founding Fathers strove for.

3. Term Limits. I stated that corruption in Washington is spawned by seniority in government, and I stand by that. Therefore, by limiting terms, we limit corruption. Everyone, from the President to the janitor in the Rotunda, serves ONE six-year term. That's it. After six years, you leave Washington, never to return.

4. Elections. Electing of officials would be held every two years, at which time one-third of the government. Election Day is a topic of great debate. If we leave election day on a Tuesday, then it should truly be Tuesday, the polls should be open 24-hours on that day. More time means more people have the opportunity to vote. If not, we could move election day to a Saturday. That would work as well.

5. Special Interest Groups. There are none. Anything remotely resembling a special interest group would be kept out of Washington, by means of court-issues restraining orders if necessary.

6. Campaign Finance. If a job pays $400,000 for the entire term, then the candidate can only spend $399,999.99 on his or her campaign. It's utterly ridiculous for candidates to spend millions of dollars trying to win a job that will only pay them a few hundred thousand dollars. The fact that we allow such idiocy to flourish tells you that kickbacks are rolling in all along the line.

That's the skeleton of the plan. Everyone that I've spoken to says that it's great, or that they agree, meaning that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

By the way, Drudge posted an article yesterday saying that Congress's approval rating was at 29% while Bush's approval rating was at 33%. Which of those numbers do you think you'll hear in the news?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you know, I never thought I would say this without some kind of qualifier in my response, but...

You are absolutely, completely right.

Sounds like a good plan to me - especially the finance reform, the lack of PACs and the limit on terms.

Now I'll just sit back, relax, and patiently wait for those nice folks from the NSA to whisk you away. By the way - if you see a Pizza delivery van across your street, it's time to get your affairs in order... won't be long now.

J_fits said...

I would like to agree with everything, but I'm not too keen on one 6-year limit. Other wise, yes.

May I post this on my myspace bulletin. I will use a hyperlink to it. and maybe discuss a few of the ideas on mypsace. Also any other suggestions on how you might polish and then openly publish this idea so that it is more public? I encourage you highly to publish it.

J_fits said...

What are your thoughts on maybe changing the term limit to a different year combination, say instead of an one 6 year set, to a three 2 year set?