Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Commissioner for a Day

I'm going to give you my take on many sports and the ways they can be improved:

Major League Baseball
1. The All Star should NOT count. I heard one analyst say that the winner should determine how the leagues play, example: if the American League wins then the whole of MLB plays with the designated hitter for a year. As novel as that idea is, I don't see it working. Homefield advantage in the World Series shouldn't be determined by an exhibition game, nor should it go back and forth every year. The team with the best record should get homefield, simple as that.
2. The steroid problem is almost overwhelming. I only wish I had more to say on it.

National Football League
1. End Zone celebrations should be applauded, not shunned. If Steve Smith wants to treat the ball like a baby that needs a diaper change, then so be it. I say that celebrations should continue and should only be penalized if they affect the pace of the game. Long celebrations would be subject to penalty, but no fines would ever be dished out for celebrating.
2. The season would be 18 games long and the pre-season would be shortened by two games. This would give the cream more time to rise to the top.

National Basketball Association
1. I could say something about this if I actually watched basketball.

National Hockey League
1. The playoff format is good, but round one should be a best-of-5, not a best-of-7
2. The regular season overtime should last 10 minutes, and then go in to a shootout. I have no quarrel with shootouts determining winners during the regular season, but never during playoffs or championship games.

NASCAR
1. (Yes, I watch NASCAR, sue me!) The Chase for the Cup should take on more of an elimination rule. The tope ten drivers face off over the last ten races. I say that after each race the lowest ranked driver in points is eliminated.

World Cup
1. Scoring. That is all.

There you have it, some things I would change if I could.

1 comment:

Francis X. Archibald said...

Re the NFL: The demonstrations in the end zone are bullshit. Players ought to act like they have been there before or intend to be there again. Put the ball down, run off the field and sit down on the team bench with a small goblet of Champagne or a beaker of Jack Black.