Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Dream for Formula 1

I don't remember the V12 days. I don't remember the era of Schumacher dominance. I didn't start watching F1 until July 2008. I'm coming up on the finale of my third complete season as a fan. So let me wrap up this first paragraph by saying congratulations to Sebastian Vettel for becoming the youngest double world champion ever. And yes, he did win the title with four races remaining.

So I got to thinking...how would I change F1 if given the opportunity? Like I said, I don't remember the glory days of the big engines. I do remember the aero-doodad-laden cars of 2008. In fact, I distinctly remember writing about them while comparing them to the 2009 models. Turns out, though, that the teams are setting lap times just as quick with these streamlined vehicles, so I don't know that I would change that.

So my thoughts jumped to what I could change: tracks. Hey, my thoughts jumped tracks. Ha!

I'm not so much in love with the endless procession of Tilkedromes that we are given every season. Bahrain is a parade, as is Valencia. Abu Dhabi isn't wide enough to produce good overtaking opportunities. We're about a month away from finding out how this new circuit in India will do. Korea last year was pretty good, but it was also a wet-weather race. I'd like to see it in the dry before passing judgment. Sepang has it's moments where it is great, and then moments where it is not so great. And the only good Tilkedrome, Istanbul, is now off the calendar for next year.

If given the opportunity to redesign the calendar for 2012, here is what I would do:
(Each grand prix name is linked to an onboard lap video)

March 18 - Australian Grand Prix - Albert Park, Melbourne
Melbourne stays because it is a good track that usually produces some very good racing.

March 25 - Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang Circuit
Sepang is a good course with some great corners. Yeah, there's not much overtaking here, but perhaps a bit of track widening would make that better.

April 15 - Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park (at 0:42 of the video, WATCH!)
The linked video shows a comparison between two cars going around this track. Turn 8, I don't like calling it Diabolika, is a beast that might be one of the best turns in all of F1.

April 29 - United States Grand Prix (Part I) - Watkins Glen International Circuit (starts at 2:53)
F1 once raced at Watkins Glen all the time. Maybe they should look at returning.

May 6 - European Grand Prix - Imola
I know that F1 drifted away from Imola over safety concerns, but it may be time to re-evaluate what is a wonderful track.

May 20 - Monaco Grand Prix - Circuit de Monte Carlo
Just watch the video. There is nothing more to say.

June 3 - German Grand Prix - Nurburgring (Nordschleife)
Yes, the Green Hell, all 186,000 turns of it. This would be about a 15 lap race. Fantastic.

June 10 - Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
This is one of my favorite tracks.

July 1 - British Grand Prix - Silvertone Circuit
A classic track that was recently renovated. Still a good race every year.

July 15 - Austrian Grand Prix - A-1 Ring
This track is used mostly as a test track, but the video proves that this was a fun track to race at.

July 29 - German Grand Prix (Part II) - Old Hockenheimring (repave it!)
When Herman Tilke neutered the Hockenheimring, the city made the decision to rip up the old track and replant trees and grass. Well, cut 'em down and repave that track. It was awesome.

September 2 - Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps
This is it. My favorite track! Once the longest track on the circuit, but replaced in that role by The Green Hell.

September 9 - Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Italy
A fast track that is amazing in the dry. What about the wet? Ask our current world champion.

September 23 - Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay Street Circuit
There is just something about this circuit. I love the night race aspect, even if it is a bit of a procession.

October 7 - Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Japan
Wonderful track with one of the best corners ever seen, the 130R.

October 14 - Korean Grand Prix - Korean International Circuit
Like I mentioned earlier, this was a fun race in the wet. If it is dry this year, we'll have a good sense of what this track actually is.

October 28 - Indian Grand Prix - Buddh International Circuit
Again, this track will get a grace period to prove itself.

November 4 - Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai International Circuit
I love this circuit. The 3/4-mile back straight, the twists and turns. Sure, there's not much in the way of overtaking, but it is fun.

November 18 - United States Grand Prix (Part II) - Circuit of the Americas
Same as the Buddh circuit, the new circuit in Austin will get a grace period. The design is good, especially for Tilke. There are no chicanes.

November 25 - Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, Brazil
I've been a fan of Interlagos since that race in 2008 where Lewis Hamilton claimed the title on the last turn of the last lap of the last race. It stays.

No comments: