Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Next Three Circuits

The next three circuits on the Formula 1 tour offer some distinct differences for the boys with the fast cars.

The track coming up on July 24 is the Nurburgring. No, not the old Nordschleife, also known as The Green Hell, or as Robert and I refer to it, the only track with 186,000 turns. This is a purpose built track, because the Green Hell was too dangerous. The "new" track does feature some interesting areas, like the Schumacher Esses, but all in all, it's not my favorite track.

The second track on this leg of the tour is the Hungaroring. Lately, this track has been plagued with near disasters. In 2009, Felipe Massa was very nearly killed in one of the scariest accidents I've ever seen, as a 5-pound spring came off the Brawn GP car of Rubens Barrichello and bounced down the back straight, striking Massa in the helmet and knocking him out. I always get chills when I see the gas and brake both applied at full strength. The Hungaroring has a tendency to produce some rather boring races, but if you get the chance to race it on any of the Codemasters F1 games, the track is a surprisingly fun drive.

Lastly, after the summer break, is the greatest racing circuit of them all, Spa-Francorchamps. I started watching F1 in the summer of 2008, while Fox was broadcasting the German Grand Prix from the Hockenheimring. It wasn't long after that race that I saw my first race at Spa-Francorchamp. I was amazed that a track could be so long, and basically built on the side of a small mountain. It was beautiful, and it hooked me in completely. When it comes to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa, I don't even care who wins (even though I'm a tried-and-true McLaren fan), but so long as I get to see a good race that the stewards don't screw with, I'm happy.

No comments: