Saturday, September 11, 2010

Post #300

I made it to 300. Looking back to July 10, 2006, I can see that this blog has come a long way. Since I started writing The Right Wing I've graduated college, bought a new car, moved out, started a good job, traveled to Kansas for a month. I've done a lot.

POLITICS:
My political view hasn't really changed. I'm still conservative. In fact, I'm probably more Libertarian than when I started the blog. I really feel like the government should leave us all alone. Sadly, the government got bigger under Bush, and it's getting bigger everyday under Obama. I make it no secret, I feel the Obama is on his way to being the worst president ever. I have buckets of respect for the Office. And I wish Obama the best, and I truly hope the a Republican victory in the midterm elections will moderate Obama as it did Clinton, but I'm not holding on to hope.

SPORTS:
My view on sports, unlike my political view, has changed drastically. I still follow hockey, the NFL and college football. But let's talk motorsports. I once followed NASCAR and no other racing types. But then, in July of 2008, I came across Formula 1. I had heard my friend Robert talk about F1 for years, and I mostly ignored him. That day, though, I saw what he was talking about. If you've followed the blog since then, you'll know that I'm now hooked on F1.

WORK:
When the blog began I was working at a sign and print shop in Buford. Then, in June of 2009, I started working for General Dynamics. I get to travel and work with the military. No complaints.


So that's they story of The Right Wing. I've been doing this for 300 posts over a little more than four years. Maybe we'll have 300 more.

That aside, I feel remiss to not say anything on this, the ninth anniversary of the September 11th attacks. On this day, nine years past, we awoke to a bright Tuesday morning. All was right with the world, as far as most Americans were concerned. Little did any of us know that, at 47 minutes after 8 that morning, our world view would change irrevocably.

I recall sitting in the parking lot at Gainesville College, listening to the start of the Neal Boortz show before going to class. That's when the news broke that a plane had struck the World Trade Center. Initially it was said to be a small plane, but a quick run to the CNN website proved that wrong.

Students gathered in the AV Room and, as the librarian turned on the TV, the second plane struck the towers. I had no clue what was happening or why. I was in my insulated little world. But on that morning, the bright September morning, nineteen Saudis changed my world view.

I went to my teachers for the day, told them that I was going home, and went home. I walked next door to my grandparents, and along the way I heard on the radio that the Pentagon had been hit. Each successive news story tore away a little more of my insulation. We were being exposed to the world.

As I walked through the door my grandmother asked me what was going on. As I tried to explain the news footage changed from the anchor to a shot of the towers, and the first tower was collapsing. It didn't take much more time before the second tower collapsed.

I honestly can't recall when I heard about Flight 93 going down over Shanksville, PA. I was completely shaken. I stared at the devastation on the TV, wondering why it had happened. Then, later in the day, one of the news channels showed footage from the Middle East, and one of the first things they showed was an older-middle-aged Palestinian woman dancing and celebrating in the streets. That's when my bloodlust set in. I hate that it did, but it happened. I was angry.

I quickly calmed, and now with the addition of a few years, I have come to understand things better. Still, though, those of us who remember that day had our lives changed forever.

No comments: