Saturday, March 28, 2009

Time to Say Farewell

UPDATE*** Well, it's 3:50 pm EDT and I just deactivated the Facebook account. I have to say that it's lovely how Facebook tries to make you feel bad for leaving. You have 226 friends who you'll no longer be able to get in touch with. That's right, no one has a cell phone. For that matter, the friends I'm most often in touch with live within five minutes of my house, so it's not exactly a struggle to get together with them. Thanks, Facebook, for reaffirming my decision to leave. ***ETADPU

Long ago, when Skewed View was still up and running, I would make fun of Robert for all those times he would say he was taking a leave of absence from the blog, and there was especially some darn good humor when he announced he was pulling the plug on Facebook. I think I gave him a week before he was too bored with life and returned to the internet.

Well, just as Robert said that it was time to move on, that time has come for me as well. I'm leaving Facebook, effective Sunday night.

Truth be told, I'm over it. The fascination, the intrigue, it's just not there anymore. At one time Facebook was truly a networking tool for me. It became my de facto daily planner. But since that time I've grown and Facebook has seemed to lag behind. Lately I've felt like Facebook was holding me down.

I've got nearly 250 friends on Facebook, but that whole friends thing was never true. Most of them are one time acquaintances or people I went to high school with who haven't really been a part of my life in years. Honestly, traffic on my little corner of Facebook has dwindled, which tells me that the time is ripe to pull the plug, so to speak. The clock has struck midnight on the whimsical romance that was internet-based social networking.

And so, I've decided to move on. I really think that this move will allow me to focus solely on writing. Not only do I have Historia working over at Novel Idea, but I've got some other short works in my head that I need to get down on paper, so it's time to wipe away the clutter, and Facebook is part of that clutter.

I won't deny that I had some really fun times. All the picture definitely document that very well. Posting Darby was probably the most fun I had, but it also came to an end.

The blogs are still running, but the Facebook links will end. I'm done with it. Truthfully, I don't even feel sad. Such is life.

So Facebook: Goodnight. And may God bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You leave... and I come back... on the same day... *headdesk*